Maybe Cetaphil?

A gentle cleanser is an important part of everyone's rosacea regime. Find out here which ones work for you.

Maybe Cetaphil?

Postby redlizzie » Wed May 18, 2011 9:08 pm

I have had terrible red bumps and what looks like acne for over a year. I've tried various prescription topicals and none seem to work, plus I don't like a lot of the long term side effects. I was wondering if anyone uses Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser? Does this seem to work?
redlizzie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Maybe Cetaphil?

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu May 19, 2011 2:23 am

I've tried it, and my best friend with rosacea also uses it (it's the foaming one), but it's just a gentle cleanser; it's not going to really help with the papules of rosacea.

What have you used (prescription-wise), and did you give them enough time to work? I only ask because I've been guilty (like many people) of using something for a week, thinking "this doesn't work!!" and stopping it. Patience is not a strong point of mine. (;)
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby David Pascoe » Thu May 19, 2011 3:00 am

A gentle cleanser that you can tolerate and works well enough for you is a good first step, but really only one part of the story.

Like Cathy said, you probably need some active treatments also to go along with a moisturizer and sunscreen to fill out a helpful regime.
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby redlizzie » Thu May 19, 2011 3:52 pm

Cathy- I've tried all sorts of things and have visited 2 dermatologists. I've tried Finacea, Aczone, Differin (bad allergic reaction), Sumaxin Wash, Metrogel, and Tazorac. I used all of these (except for the Differin) for over a month. None did much. I also don't like how many of these have negative side effects. For example, the Sumaxin Wash has been linked to cancer. Before rosacea I never wore makeup and didn't like putting anything on my face. Then I went to trying these various medicines and not liking the effects. Trying to find something gentler.
redlizzie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fanny » Thu May 19, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi
If you are wantingto use natural products then consider, aloe vera gel or calendula gel and/or jojoba oil to moisturize. Please do a patch test first as always when trying something new.
All the best
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby Mike T » Thu May 19, 2011 11:24 pm

Hi,

The most effective and safe treatment I found to treat my Rosacea papules was to cut back on bad fats and sugar containing food. I noticed a dramatic difference within a few weeks..ofcourse there is no guarantee this will work for everyone... It's a matter of just giving it a go.

If you have acne I have heard good reviews of the Proactive range. Just be mindfull that most acne treatments are too harsh for Rosacea skin. Hence I would seek a confirmed diagnosis before use.

Note that the dietery adjustments outlined in my first paragraph should benifit both conditions (not to mention your general health). Processed sugars and bad fats hold no nutritional benifit to our bodies and can be cut out of our diets completley. There will most likley be other foods which will trigger your Rosacea, such as dairy, which you will identify in time. If these foods contain essential nutrients then you will need to find alternatives, primarily from equivilent food sources and then from suppliments as needed in the short term.

Regards,

Mike
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby redlizzie » Sat May 21, 2011 6:52 pm

fanny thanks for the tips. I am planning on trying jojoba oil for a moisturizer.

I definetly can't use proactiv. I definetly have roscea and ocular rosacea, although the ocular is under control. My dermatologist just wanted me to try some of the different meds I listed because he said they help rosacea. However, I don't think they do and my skin didn't like them.
redlizzie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Guiseppe Pascuale » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:03 pm

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser never seemed to benefit my skin. The texture felt heavy and I dislike the inclusion of sodium lauryl sulfate in the formula - granted it's a very small amount, but as this ingredient is a known irritant I err on the side of caution.
Guiseppe Pascuale
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby TysonJones » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:38 pm

Cerave hydrating cleansers is perfect for my skin. hydrates and moisturizes and causes no irritation
Check out my Blog, where I write many songs, poems, and passages about my struggle with Rosacea and other things in life:
http://passagesofthepsyche.blogspot.com/
http://epicevolutions.blogspot.com/
http://the-darkness-rises.blogspot.com/
TysonJones
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby paul051966 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:15 pm

I've tried it many times over the years, it's always been too irritable, but then again, I have incredibly sensitive skin. As always, patch test it on a very small area for a few days at least to get an idea. Any itching, redness etc.. avoid.
paul051966
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Cleansers