Seabuckthorn Soap + Facedoctor...Dissapointed!

A gentle cleanser is an important part of everyone's rosacea regime. Find out here which ones work for you.

Seabuckthorn Soap + Facedoctor...Dissapointed!

Postby fedupwithred » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:45 am

I ordered the facedoctor soap from amazon with high hopes and it seemed like maybe it helped a little with the acne but i'm a flusher and the soap creates a waxy coating on your face (it feels smooth, which is nice becasue im so used to bumps and ruddiness), unfortunately I had an increase in flushing :((( I am not sure if it was due to the fragrance, the product itself, an inflammatory respnse to killing the demodex mites, or the demodex mites going ape on my face. I'm also wondering if the wax acted like a thermal insulator and kept my face warm, thus unducing a flush.....I had yoga class the other day, so the "sun salutations" & "child pose" were awful. When I got back up I looked like a fire hydrant (I wish there weren't mirrors in that class (tears) )
fedupwithred
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Re: Seabuckthorn Soap + Facedoctor...Dissapointed!

Postby bellableu » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi, this isn't surprising, unfortunately. :( I'm sorry.

Soap is not usually a good choice for sensitive, Rosacea skin - it's drying, and has a very high pH that further imbalances the . And Seabuckthorn has not been shown to be particularly useful, despite internet claims.

Also, Demodex mites may not have anything to do with your symptoms (I'd go so far as to say: it's highly unlikely). There is a condition resembling inflammatory, papulopustular Rosacea that is linked to Demodex infestation, but current research does not seem to connect most Rosacea cases with Demodicosis.

From Facedoctor website:
The active ingredient, Seabuckthorn Oil, is clinically proven to kill the Human Demodex parasite. Cleansing effects of rosacea.
One bar lasts 3-4 months.

Made from natural plant extracts that were developed to deal with the causes of ugly skin such as redness, enlarged pores, acne, skin blotches, rosacea and premature aging.

Neat Soap Flakes, Seabuckthorn (hippophae rhamnoides) oil, coconut oil, aloe barbadensis (aloe vera), glycerin, sodium silicate, astragalus membranaceus, spirodela polyrrhiza, tocopherol (vitamin E), protein hydrolysate, fragrance.

I don't mean to hijack your discussion, but these products have been mentioned by several members recently, and I see these ingredients and just grit my teeth. So, please know this is not directed towards you specifically. :) The following may be a slight rant, and I have removed my Moderator's Cap for the duration of this post. ;)

There is no clinical research regarding claims Seabuckthorn Oil treats Demodex and Rosacea. Period. There are many claims by websites and companies SELLING Seabuckthorn oil products. Seabuckthorn may in fact have some lovely qualities (it's high in anti-oxidants, for one), but nothing but nothing is a Holy-Grail-Cure-All. I like Seabuckthorn Oil, I use it in skincare, it's a very nice botanical oil - it has not cured my Rosacea. It has not worsened my symptoms, it also has not cleared them. That doesn't mean it won't help someone else's - but like almost everything out there, it's not The Answer For Rosacea. Anyone who tells you they have 'the cure', and they would be willing to sell it to you ($20 for a bar of soap? Really?) over the internet, is just selling something. Please don't put your faith, hard-earned money, and health in the hands of someone who just wants to sell you something.

Soap, in general, is hard on your skin. The ingredient here is 'neat soap flakes' - this tells us nothing. Is this true soap, resulting from a chemical reaction between oil and lye, leaving a product that is highly alkaline in pH, and probably very drying to your skin? Is this a detergent or emulsifier instead? Which one? There are MANY. They don't tell us, so we really have no idea what the most basic ingredient in this product is - and what it will do to skin that is already sensitive. Will some people be able to use this and benefit? Probably. And that is due to the combination of ingredients working for them - and probably other factors we won't ever know about. Aside from the 'soap flakes', the rest of the ingredients are perfectly fine for anyone who is not sensitive to them. They are not, however, ingredients with any proven action against Demodex mites, if that is truly an issue. This is just soap. The way soap works, the ingredients in this are unlikely (I say with great understatement) to have any effect on your skin whatsoever. In a creamy, non-bar-soap, mild cleansing base, the Seabuckthorn Oil, Coconut Oil, Aloe Vera, Glycerin, Astralagus, and so forth might actually do something for your skin - especially if it was a non-stripping, creamy base that sat on your skin for a long time (think hours) - but as a drying soap that you lather up and rinse off, all you are doing is stripping away more and more of your natural protective skin barrier and leaving nothing helpful in its place.

So, this is soap. I don't care what kind of amazing, Holy Grail, Cure-All, exotic ingredient is added to soap - it's still soap. Soap weakens the skin barrier. Period. Healthier skin will recover quickly. Sensitive, Rosacea skin probably will not.

If you would like to try Seabuckthorn without the irritating soap factor, there are a lot of online sources for the oil (oil from the fruit/berry has a strong orange/red color that can stain skin because of its higher lycopene content, oil from the seed is lighter & non-staining - I believe they have similar constituents, aside from lycopene levels).

OK, rant over. Good luck everybody. Keep it simple, keep it gentle.
Subtypes I, II, IV - mild to moderate

“You do what you do because that’s what the harmony of the universe requires." ~ Ram Dass
bellableu
Moderator Team

Postby fedupwithred » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:32 pm

Thank you so much bellableu for your comment(rant?) and no worries, I see you frustrations in theses scam "cure-all" rosacea treatments. I knew this would never cure my rosacea, but i was hoping it would help with the overall "ruddiness" of my skin, particularly the acne. The waxy coating it left on my skin was bizzarre. It CAN'T be healthy... What a waste of money! I'm hopeing there will be some progress with the sanrosa/col-118 so I can take oracea for the pimples & inflammation, and then use the sanrosa to combat the flushing that oracea seems to cause for me. =/ My skin is like crepe paper, i feel like anything I put on it would be absorbed instantly. Back to square one! (frustrated)
By the way, NICE Ram Dass quote ;) I'm a fan!
fedupwithred
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby bellableu » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:07 am

fedupwithred wrote:Thank you so much bellableu for your comment(rant?) and no worries, I see you frustrations in theses scam "cure-all" rosacea treatments. I knew this would never cure my rosacea, but i was hoping it would help with the overall "ruddiness" of my skin, particularly the acne. The waxy coating it left on my skin was bizzarre. It CAN'T be healthy... What a waste of money! I'm hopeing there will be some progress with the sanrosa/col-118 so I can take oracea for the pimples & inflammation, and then use the sanrosa to combat the flushing that oracea seems to cause for me. =/ My skin is like crepe paper, i feel like anything I put on it would be absorbed instantly. Back to square one! (frustrated)
By the way, NICE Ram Dass quote ;) I'm a fan!

Poor you! I so feel for you. CrabbyCathy also uses the 'crepe paper' description when her skin gets dry & upset. It's a horrible feeling. When my skin has gotten super-super-sensitive & dry, the only thing I've been able to use is Hemp Seed Oil. It's helpful to repair a damaged barrier. I'm sure other oils (and products) are also good for that, but Hemp Oil is what has worked best for me - & I have not developed any reactions to it, even after several years of use. That's borderline miraculous for me. I recommend it highly ...

Good Luck! You'll find your way, I'm sure of it - it just takes a little time to find what works.

“You do what you do because that’s what the harmony of the universe requires." ~ Ram Dass
bellableu
Moderator Team

Postby fanny » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi
No matter what anyone says we all lead with our face and so when it is red and/or pimply we feel less than we should, even though we know, in our hearts, that beauty is only skin deep.
I have spent a small fortune on products and have come to a couple of conclusions;
Keep it simple-one cleanser, one topical , one moisturiser, keep the ingredients as few as possible,as natural as possible.
Try not to look in the mirror every 2 seconds.
Patience.
Remember that a red face does not define us.
Currently this is what I am using:
Jojoba oil for cleansing and moisturising
Retin A and or Florazone cream for spots
Be beautiful in your mind
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby fedupwithred » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:04 am

Thank you bellableu! I am looking into trying some oil...perhaps hemp might be a good place to start :)
And thank you fanny for those words of wisdom! (hug2) I take them to heart! I really need to stop caring what others think and take on your way of thinking...
fedupwithred
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby bellableu » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:40 am

You're very welcome, 'fedup' - I hope you find relief soon!

And to 'fanny': what a lovely post! :)

bellableu
Moderator Team

Postby cindymsq » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:21 pm

I have had very good results from the Facedoctor soap. It is a little drying but not excessively so.
I follow it with Oil of Olay sensitive skin moisturizer and my face has been clear for about 3 years.
I am 49 years old and have had rosacea as diagnosed by 2 different dermatologists for about 30 years.
Tetracycline and metrogel didn't do much good. Also my rosacea seemed to be very hormone driven instead of foods or environment.
Hope this helps
Cindy
cindymsq
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Cleansers