Garden of Wisdom Products

A gentle cleanser is an important part of everyone's rosacea regime. Find out here which ones work for you.
happy_blackbird
I'm new here
I'm new here

Garden of Wisdom Products

Post by happy_blackbird »

Good morning! I am a newbie to the boards, but have been looking for the right products for my ridiculously reactive skin for more years that I can even fathom (ah, 40! Here it comes!). I have been on the increased hunt for a non-reactive cleanser (and a moisturizer, of course) as I have begun to wear loose powder and water on a microfiber washcloth isn't always enough. I feel as if I have tried nearly every commercial product on the shelves (and some no longer sold), with no luck at all. Recently I followed a thread on the Makeup Alley website talking about a woman down in Arizona who sells commercial grade, natural cosmetic ingredients and her own small batch, handmade finished products. Her website is called Garden of Wisdom. I am just as careful in picking natural products as I am chemical ingredients (I have just as terrible a reaction to plain olive oil as I do mineral oil), so still have to be thoughtful about my choices. Last week, I ordered the smallest size green tea & shea butter cleanser and a small bottle of her "rosacea serum". Nothing stood out in either ingredient list as a potential irritant, but sometimes I react to unexpected materials.

Has anyone here ever ordered anything off her website? If so, what kind of luck did you have with her products?

Thanks so much to everyone who has been so generous with their experience! It's wonderful to come across a group of people who know what this process is like!
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Re: Garden of Wisdom Products

Post by Lisamouries »

I don't know about the garden of wisdom products but how about some stuff from the homemade mixes? Perhaps you can really find out what your nasty triggers are and then apply accordingly? Just a thought.

http://rosacea-support.org/community/viewforum.php?f=34
Lisa M.
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Post by Aurelia »

Hi, happy_blackbird,

Many thanks for drawing our attention to the Garden of Wisdom site, which looks like a homelier, grass-roots version of SkinActives, more into natural stuff and without the scientific slant. I will look forward to reading in our Home-made Mixes section how you get on with your experiments.

Please also let us know how you fare with the GoW cleanser and Rosacea Serum.

Interesting to see that they sell two mixes against rosacea - their original serum, and a second it can be alternated with.

http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/rosacea.html

GoW Rosacea Serum
Ingredients: Immortelle Hydrosol, Sea Gel Compound Blend, Calendula Infused Oil, Oat Beta Glucans, Panthenol B-5, Seabuckthorn Seed Co2 Extract, Seabuckthorn Leaf Extract, Azelaic Acid Derivative, Malachite Elixir, Mandelic Acid, L-lysine, Lecithin, Optiphen

GoW Redness Be Gone Serum
Ingredients: Distilled Water, solvent, Cherry Distillate, Seabuckthorn Seed Oil, Pantothenic Acid, Niacinimide, Oat Beta Glucans, Superoxide Dismutase, L-Carnosine, DMAE, Caffeine, Xanthan Gum, Optiphen.

There is also a page listing several skin care routines. I noticed only one from a rosacean, who has "very dry, very sensitve and reactive skin" but exfoliates weekly with a facial scrub and an exfoliating lotion, and uses a toner that includes white wine vinegar. Astonishing!

Kind regards,

Aurelia
happy_blackbird
I'm new here
I'm new here

Hey ladies (and gents),
Well, I have been waiting for the Garden of Wisdom products to arrive, but it looks as though my order got lost in the shuffle. They finally sent it off this morning and I should have the cleanser and the "rosacea serum" by tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. I am going to try one product at a time, starting with the green tea/she butter cleanser, just to keep it simple (and to narrow down any potential irritants). For the last week I have been using the 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup gylcerin, 1Tbs unscented castile soap home-brewed, cleanser recipe (off the internet) and my face looks like a disaster. I just can not tolerate castile soap. Alas.

I am amazed that someone who has reactive skin can exfoliate so strenuously! I wish I could!

:)
Beth
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Post by CrabbyCathy »

Those serums sounds interesting, especially "Rosacea Serum". I will be looking forward to your response!

And yes, it's a very good idea to use one thing at a time, to see what helps and what doesn't. Even cleansers, actually--after reacting to two cleansers, one which I used 4 times before anything happened, and one which I had used off and on before--I learned to wash only a spot on my face, for a week or so, before trying all over.

I used to be able to scrub all over, with those scrubby apricot-pit scrubs, put AHA all over....sigh.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
happy_blackbird
I'm new here
I'm new here

Hey, everyone!
I just have to ask. Is there ever a moment when you feel more hopeful than that first second you are trying a new facial product? I always have this elated feeling that THIS is FINALLY going to be the product that not only doesn't irritate my skin, but that helps my face look lovely. The disappointment inevitably sets in, but for a few minutes I feel incredibly hopeful! (I know, I know...this kind of hope is exactly what the three billion dollar a year beauty industry literally banks on).

I received the Garden of Wisdom (http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/) products I ordered today (green tea/shea butter cleanser and the "rosacea serum"). I know I am supposed to try one product at a time, but my face felt pretty calm and I thought I would give them both a shot.

After using a small amount of the cleanser, my skin felt pretty tight, rather dry, and perhaps a little warm, but I foolishly went ahead and applied the serum.

At first everything seemed fine. It left my face with that post serum, silky feeling, and I was pleased to see that I didn't turn bright red right off the bat. Within minutes, however, my face was positively burning and I had the beginnings of the dreaded raised bumps across my cheeks. Ugh! I rinsed my face with cool water, thinking that would be enough, and that seemed to make it worse (go figure). I finally re-washed my face with my favorite non-irritating soap, Hugo Naturals shea butter/oatmeal bar soap, rinsed that with cold water, and then reached for the old desperate measure: Metrogel. I applied a thin layer of metrogel, let that dry, and then applied straight up vaseline on the rough patches. What a disaster!

I am beginning to think that I absolutely can not use facial products that contain aloe vera (which is the first ingredient in the cleanser). Does anyone else have trouble with aloe?

So, another fifteen dollars down the drain. If anyone has any interest in trying either of these products, I would be happy to send them along to you (is there a private e-mail feature somewhere in here) if you don't mind them already being open. Who knows, maybe they would work for someone! Below you'll find the ingredients.

*sigh*

Jen's Green Tea/Shea Butter cleanser: Aloe vera gel; decylpolyglucoside; shea butter; matcha green tea extract; amaze xt; lecithin

Rosacea Serum: Immortelle Hydrosol, Sea Gel Compound Blend,Calendula Infused Oil,Oat Beta Glucans,Panthenol B-5,Seabuckthorn Seed Co2 Extract,Seabuckthorn Leaf Extract,Azelaic Acid Derivative,Malachite Elixir,Mandelic Acid,L-lysine,Lecithin,Optiphen
SouthernMoss
Moderator Team

Post by SouthernMoss »

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience with the new products. :-( I hope your face recovers quickly.
happy_blackbird
I'm new here
I'm new here

Thanks for the support! What a shame. Now I am going to have to wait for this to calm down and heal before I continue on in the search for a moisturizer. Thank goodness for Vaseline!
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Post by Aurelia »

Hi Beth,

I think you signed as 'Beth'. Apologies if I've got that wrong. (blush)

You are so right about the excitement and elation of anticipating that something will help us. Sorry that you've had such a bad result with the serum.

Many people get on very well with aloe vera, and some even use it as their main topical. However, we definitely have heard from others who flare in response to it, whether in preparations or freshly sqeezed from the leaf.
happy_blackbird wrote:So, another fifteen dollars down the drain. If anyone has any interest in trying either of these products, I would be happy to send them along to you (is there a private e-mail feature somewhere in here) if you don't mind them already being open. Who knows, maybe they would work for someone!
It is very generous of you to offer to pass these products on to someone else. We (the mods) have no objection, since you obviously aren't doing it as a business, just out of kindness. However, why not return them to GoW and ask for a refund? At the very least, please consider phoning or emailing them to discuss your bad reaction.

If rosaceans don't report back to manufacturers and say "this didn't work for me and here's what my reaction was like", they have no way of knowing that anyone is having problems. If you feel awkward about complaining, perhaps consider that your comments might help them tweak their product into a form that will help more rosaceans.

BTW for private messages, you need to be logged in, then click on User Control Panel, then Private Messages, Find a Member, select the name, then when you're back on the Compose PM screen, you must click the ADD button or nothing happens. (Took me a wee while to figure that out, but maybe it's just me being computer illiterate. (speechless) )

Kind regards,

Aurelia
happy_blackbird
I'm new here
I'm new here

Shoot, I thought I had written a reply, but I must have closed my browser window before posting it.

I wrote an e-mail to the woman who runs the Garden of Wisdom website letting her know what my experience was with the product she has specifically designed for rosacea skin. I am a very sensitive girl but you're absolutely right, Aurelia, she should get user feedback. My sense is that it is too "active" (ie. burns) for my very sensitive skin. It contains an ingredient called mandelic acid which, upon further investigation (according to wikipedia), is an AHA. I can not tolerate AHAs at all, so I probably should have made the connection prior to purchase. A good learning experience.

I hope no one thought I was trying to re-sell my GoW purchase! I wanted to make it available for someone else to try for free, much like makeupalley.com's product swap. By the time I pay for postage to send it back, nearly all of my initial 15 dollar investment will be eaten up anyway, so I thought, instead, someone else could try it out on their skin to see if it worked for them without having to actually purchase it. Kind of a beauty product good deed. When I think about the amount of money I have spent over the years purchasing products that I hoped I could tolerate, I feel terribly embarrassed.

Alas, the search continues. Interestingly, who would have thought that the Hugo Natural's bulk bar soap would turn out to be the least irritating cleanser of all the options out there?