An excellent consumer report about how to choose a moisturizer. The linked article below gives some background on how moisturizers are formulated, how they work, and the operation of common active ingredients.
A table at the end of the PDF document compares about 75 available moisturizers, classifying them under Face, Hands and Feet.
This list of products is perfect for anyone searching for the best moisturizer for rosacea.
Moisturizers: What They Are and a Practical Approach to Product Selection, J. N. Kraft, BSc (Hons) and C. W. Lynde, MD, FRCPC
Skin Therapy Letter (PDF), Volume 10, Number 5, June 2005,
Abstract: Moisturizers are widely used products that are important in many dermatologic and cosmetic skin therapies. They contain varying combinations of emollients, occlusives, and humectants to achieve their beneficial effects, and there is an overwhelming number of formulations available. To develop a rational approach for prescribing moisturizers, commercially available products can be categorized on the basis of application site.
Key Words: dry skin, emollients, humectants, moisturizers, occlusives
There is a vast array of moisturizers available on the market today and consumer demand for these products is growing. These products range from value brands that provide basic moisturization to luxury therapeutics with claims of anti-aging benefits. A recent US study found that moisturizers are the third most commonly recommended OTC topical skin product (13.4%) behind hydrocortisone (27.6%) and anti-infectives (23.4%)
The article has the following sections:
- What Are Moisturizers?
- How Do Moisturizers Work?
- Where Are They Used?
- What is the Ideal Moisturizer?
- Formulation Characteristics
The following moisturisers look to be of potential interest to rosacea sufferers. These are listed in the comparison table.
A summary of some Canadian-marketed moisturizing products/active ingredients by sites of use (many of these products are available in the US as well). This list does not profess to be all-inclusive but includes many of the popular brands used by dermatologists in their practices.
- Facial Moisturizer, Active Ingregients
- Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer (Galderma), Cyclomethicone, glycerin
- Complex 15 Face Cream (Schering Plough), Dimethicone, lecithin
- Dormer 211 Face Cream (Dormer), Hyaluronic acid complex, lecithin
- Dove Sensitive Essentials (Unilever), Petrolatum, mineral oil, dimethicone
- Enydrial (Roc Laboratories), Hypoallergenic base
- Eucerin 5% Facial Cream (Beiersdorf), 5% Urea
- Hydra + Destressant (Roc Laboratories) , Hypoallergenic base
- Hydraphase UV SPF30 (La Roche Posay) , Glycerin, thermal spring water
- Impruv (Stiefel), Glycerin, shea butter, squalene
- Neutrogena Moisture Cream (Johnson and Johnson), Glycerin, dimethicone, petrolatum
- Nutrilogie 1 Intensive Care for Dry Skin (Vichy Laboratories), Sphingo-lipid, urea, glycerin
- Nutrilogie 2 Intensive Care for Very Dry Skin (Vichy Laboratories), Sphingo-lipid, urea, beeswax, shea butter
- Oil of Olay Moisture Cream & Oil of Olay Complete All Day Cream (Proctor and Gamble) Hypoallergenic base
- Spectroderm (Glaxo Smith Kline Consumer), Dimethicone, glycerin
- Toleriane Riche Smooth Protective Cream (La Roche Posay), Shea butter, squalene, glycerin
- Toleriane Soothing Protective Care (La Roche Posay), Glycerin, squalene
- Vichy Thermal Fix 1 and 2 (Vichy Laboratories), Filladyn, sunflower oil, glycerin
- Vichy Novadiol Intensive Re-Densifying Care Face and Neck (Vichy Laboratories), Phytocomplex, beeswax, glycerin
What do you like?
Have you found a moisturizer that you love enough to recommend to other rosacea sufferers?
- Niacinamide and Moisturizers
- Rosacea Cleanser: Linda Sy Mild Oatmeal Facial Cleanser
- Cleansing and the Management of Rosacea
- Mild Cleanser is Important
- Cosmeceuticals: An emerging concept
- Do BB Creams (Blemish Balm) Work for Rosacea?
- acne.org Cleanser, Jojoba Oil and Moisturizer
- Vanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream User Reviews
- Cetaphil RestoraDERM for Extra Dry Skin
- Rosaliac UV Fortifying Anti-Redness Moisturizer with SPF 15
- CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser and CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion User Reviews
- Prescription topicals go on first
- The Best Moisturisers with Sunscreen