Alternative Treatments for Demodex Mites

Written by on September 11, 2007 with 94 Comments

Alternative Treatments for Demodex Mites

From: “Rachelle Spearman”
Date: Fri Dec 1, 2000 7:34 pm
Subject: Alternative Treatments for Mites

I tried Annie’s recommendations for treatment of the mites last weekend and I had some very problematic reactions to the treatment. I had an allergic reaction to the spray and the Kwellada lotion gave a breakout that took four days to get under control. The Kwellada shampoo caused a bit of seb. dermatitis but the cream really aggravated it on my face. As a result I have decided to try more natural rememdies for the mites which some people may wish to try as well:

1. Take 1 to 4 capsules of Olive Leaf Extract instead of an oal antibiotic. You may wish to take these 5 days on and two days off so that you can take these for an extended period of time. Go slow because it will bring out any latent viruses and kill them off as well (e.g. cold sores).
  2. Use Tea Tree Oil Soap (Soapworks brand) to cleanse face and body.
  3. Use Tea Tree Oil Cream (Regime brand) once to twice a day (You could alternate with Regime’s Calendula Cream if using the Tea Tree Oil Cream twice a day is too irritating).
  4. Shampoo with a Tea Tree Oil Shampoo (Treemenda brand) once a day or another tea tree oil shampoo without alcohol in it.
  5. When you wash your linens for your bed use 10 drops of tea tree oil in your laundry in addition to your perfume free detergent. (Nature Clean makes an excellent Liquid Laundry Soap available at Bulk Barn stores).

All the brands I have mentioned are perfume free and alcohol free. I am extremely reactive and these are very well tolerated. Remember that not all Olive Leaf Extracts are alike. Get a very good quality brand like Nulife. I have already started this and I will keep you posted how things progress. I have also switched to Tom’s of Maine toothpaste and underarm deoderant to limit the number of chemicals my immune system has to deal with.

Please note that I still take MSM (7 capsules a day),Primal Defense (5 capsules a day) and Natural Factors B12 twice a day for supplements. These are the only ones I tolerate. I am also on a modified version of the Gotschall diet still.

This combination works very well for me.

Related Articles:

1. Suzy Rizzi says:

I just want to thank Rachel for a natural treatment. And i appreciate the brand names as well

2. jasper says:

don’t use tea tree oil it is poisonous in very small amounts.

3. Ann Alice A. says:

Hello,
    I suspect I may have demodex (the symptoms seem to fit), but I’m not sure (I’ve been at least diagnosed with rosacea). Brady Barrows (author of “Rosacea 101”) suggests either doing a test yourself (I’d rather not) or getting a biopsy from a dermatologist. Or should I just try ZZ ointment (another recommendation from Barrows) and see what happens? Any suggestions as to what step I should take next? Thanks so much for your help!
    -Ann

4. JAMIE says:

thank you… i am so itchy and didnyt know why!

5. Kristina says:

Try Neem Oil.

6. Karen says:

The demodex folliculorum and brevis are present in almost 98% of the population and thrive in warm moist environments. They breed rapidly in immune suppressed environments feeding on skin cells, hormones, the hair bulb and can introduce infection to the follicle cavity.

Although tea tree oil can be effective, it can be very drying, almost like a peel on sensitive skin. Did I mention the stuff smells like camphor?? Sea Buckthorn Oil (SBT) is an incredible Anti- bacterial, fungal, microbial and parasitic essential oil that meets many needs. In chinese studies, it’s shown to kill the mite while healing the skin tissue. I use it for dandruff, seborheic dermatitis, and psoriasis. I’ve added it to my shampoo, as a daily treatment and my moisturize. My little liquid gold for probelm skin.

I’ve been using Sea Buchthorn Oil for the last six years with my Skin Care for the Scalp treatments. Much like the face, the demodex can colonize the scalp causing inflammation, creepy crawly itch and hair loss. SBT oil is a primary tool to use against the parasite. Don’t be put off by it’s orange color. This light oil absorbs nicely into the skin, helping to heal and hydrate. A little goes a long way. Do not waste it by using too much. If used consistantly, SBT oil can be a winning tool in the fight against the demodex and other chronic scalp conditions.

7. Nina says:

Hi i have all the symtoms. I went to the clinic and the nurse gave me an anti fungal shampoo. It only took away the inflamtion. The itch and crawling is still present. Im also using rosemary oil with olive oil.What else can i use on my scalp and how long does it take to get better?

8. karen g says:

Hello, well its now 3 years of trying all sorts of home remedies and also not knowing what i had , as the dermatologist said i had dry skin…i was very angry, as doctors don’t believe you, and frustration sets in.So i have infected my cat, and she has seen a dermatologist twice with him not even doing a skin scraping and also not listening.Great that i have finally found this site, as the itch can keep me awake at night,they are all over my face , eyelashes eye brows, not much left of them, i have lost a third of the hair on my head, my legs and feet itch, i have probably poisoned myself a few times, trying to get them of me, not to mention my sanity. And i have never felt so miserable ,ever, even on antidepressants.With no one to believe me, and not even research it for me, and numerous doctors .I had to plead with a doctor to give me ivermectin ,which didn’t work .Now my dad has it also and hes 78. Now how do i treat Maggie my cat as she also is suffering? She’s had revolution ever 2 weeks of 2 month, advocate, worming pills at the moment every week again, poisonate rinses ,some i wouldn’t even use on her, the frustration has been unbearable as the look of vets almost calling you crazy ,and there has been so many, not to mention the amount of money wasted.But more importantly it has ruled ( ruined) my life…..last 12 months unbearable…

9. pitanjara says:

Hi! Karen
    You don’t give in just keep working at it.. Today another round of IPL (first for the year) which after about a week clears my skin completely.. I use only Ego skin cream for treatment (it can be tinted for cover up).. Face wash twice a day with Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser and a Zyrtec antihistamine tab.. The Zyrtec certainly keeps the flushing periods at bay.. Demodex are worse at night, They love the dark and warmth, so I sleep on my back with a small USB fan one metre from my face.. I wake up with my skin pale and cool.. I guess I freeze the little monsters..Before the night wash with Neutrogena I use a tea tree oil wash.. Leave on for 10 minutes and then use the Neutogena wash to add moisturizer etc..

10. Karen says:

Nina,

Your complaint is a common one. When ever a medical professional cannot provide a remedy or cure, they fall back on the standard of, It’s all in your head or “here, just try this”, knowing it wont make a difference.

Try using Sea Buckthhorn oil on the areas where the demodex are. Apply the oil am and especially at night when they are most active. You must be consistant with the oil, and be committed to it. If you use the oil twice a day, you should put a pretty good dent into the mite colonization. My SBT oil is blended with Aloe. You could try doing the same with Rosemary, or Neem oil.

Antifungal shampoos are helpful for dandruff, seborheic dermatitis and psoriasis. Most dandruff shampoos have some form of sulfer of tea tree oil to control the fungal or yeast condition. You can turn any shampoo into an antifungal shampoo by adding a teaspoon of oil to an 8oz btl. of shampoo. I reccommend organic, since most don’t use drying and damaging sulfates, silicones, gums and preservatives.

11. Karen says:

Kareng,

I’ve been treating people for demodex for the last 6 years. Don’t feel bad and think you did this to your animals. In all my research and applications, I have never seen, read or heard where the demodex of an animal, could cross to the human species. They are both considered Mange, but are a different species of the mite.

In many cases, mite colonization is more appearent in persons with internal health issues. ie: immuno suppressed, stress, (which lowers resistance to illness), yeast or fungal infections of the intestin, the list goes on. The skin is the largest organ of the body and often considered the barometer of internal health. Only a medical, homeopathic or naturopathic doctor can determine the source of the underlying issue.

I am a huge supporter of using Sea Buckthorn oil. It can be used on the skin, taken internally and added to many personal products. Do a little research on the used of Sea Buchthorn oil. The down side of SBT oil is the orange color and not so terrific odor. It’s not repellant but not the best smelling stuff.

There is also a lot of information regarding the Demodex compared to even 3 years ago. When I first started 7 years ago, you were hard pressed to find much at all on the mite. Now medical science is starting to realize it has also contributed to hairloss.

12. Luke says:

Hello All,

Also Karen I would love for you to read on and give me some advice as speaking to someone with knowledge & research of Demodex is what i am hoping for.

Although not having been diagnosed with rosacea, I have been displaying symptoms of Demodex for a few months now;

– crawling itch (all over)
    – scalp irritation & rapid hair loss (would say >50% in little over 1 month)
    – eyebrow loss & thinning
    – eyelash loss
    – sore eyes
    – widened skin pores around my cheeks & chin

here are some other symtoms which i was wondering may or may not be succinct with having an infestationand/or rosaccea.

– an odd oily film over my forehead, eyelids, eyebrow area which also feels irritated
    – aside from my horribly thinning hair it just gets greasy really quickly if unwashed
    – acne which has returned after 4 years of not being present (firstly I used Benzoyl peroxide for a few months which i really regret, then i started taking antib’s just over 6 weeks ago, when this really kicked off – now unsure whether to stop taking as acne is better and aware stopping treatment half way can make it worse)
    – NONE of my shed hairs have much of a white bulb on the end of them.
    – random red bumps/bitten skin also very itchy on arms, legs and torso some on scalp
    – a follicle/pore type rash on chest

I have been fairly immunosurpressed over the last few months when noticing this for a number of reasons – immense stress, i am a sub-elite athlete, starting antibiotics as well as having some underlyng health issues – my hormones are all over the place which i am seeing an endocrinologist for, I am fairly convinced I have a yeast/fungal problem judging by the ‘dustiness’ of my skin, the way the inside of my mouth feels and fact that I have had IBS for years.

GP of course gave me anti fungal shampoo and steriod cream – anti fungal shampoo calms irritation on scalp and makes it appear healthy, but does not stop the itch and has done nothing for the hair loss. Steriod cream has done nothing for me. I am therefore quite convinced that the hair loss is not seb derm.

Obviously the stress of this is not going to be working wonders for it getting any better as well as any other illness i have going on.

My main questions;

1. Basically i have been using T Tree oil mixed in with baby shampoo for face and hair as well as taking salt baths with T Tree oil in. I have come across various sources saying T Tree is not as good for you as everyone makes out as well as having properties which can affect hormone balances and was hoping for some advice around TTO vs SBO?

2. If SBO is better/safer to use, how should i be mixing & applying it & with what?

3. How do i even see if I have an infestation in scalp, eyebrow/lash/ skin short of paying through the nose for a private biopsy? (I am UK based and GP/Dermatologists so far have refused to go down this route). I am seeing another NHS Derm next week and the last one told me i have some eczema on my face and male pattern baldness at 22 -whatever. So what can i say to the next one to try and make them listen?

4. Other things i could do in a daily routine to try and get rid of these things?

5. Should i be looking out for my Girlfriend also – she seems symptom & care free but i am aware that in trying to rid myself of this she may just be giving it right back.

6. Does hair/eyebrows come back if/when one rids themselves of demodex?

7. does anyone know of any UK research going on as i have been advised to perhaps go down that route…?

Many Thanks for any advice to follow.

Luke

13. karen g says:

Hi Luke,
    well at the moment am trying of all things foot balm with hot paprika and guess what i can see them in all shades ,they are poping out,especialy along hair folicals,and out of my lips and nose ,legs .I use a magnifing mirror to see them and i am covered in them,
    .Apparenty they live on us humans Ok until as you state we are imune suppressed, which i am.And i do beleive that really the only way to really rid yourself of these critters is to find the underlining cause, what is causing our immune system to turn on itself.
    And i also beleive something like bees wax could suffercate them without us poisiong ouselves.
    They live on all of us to some degree, from an early age,they live on everyone to some degree,but from what i have researched the last 2 years …out suppressed immune system is the answer…getting warmer…closer to a fix ..i hope.
    Have a bath ,with epson salts ,one cup, soak for half an hour and scrub well.The foot balm contains these ingrediants (Purfied water, urea,ceteeryl,alcohole,petrolatum,peg-20,, steerate,phenoxyethanol,sodium pca,benzyl alcohol,mentha,pippermint oil,citrus oil,lime oil) so check the one you buy has some of these ingrediants.i also put hot paprika with it,or hot chilli powder.
    Its scary watching these things come out of your skin,and really creepy.Even my family has seen them on me tonight.Amazing!!!!and horrible!!!!put vasaline on eye lashers at night.
    Do half your body first,because it takes time, and lets try not to stress,will do my hair tomorrow and body.We will beat this,,,but we need to take something internaly.
    Just dont know what it is yet …keep you posted…
    Best wishers and good luck to all.
    One thing that i am deffinalty going to have done is a live blood test.(Sorry if i’m all over the shop its 2 .17 am ,and i’m getting tired.)… A must do in my books,,,seek help ,,herbs ?Never give up!!!!

14. Luke says:

Karen,

You are putting foot balm with chilli powder on your face? How are you applying this? In the bath or just mixing up and putting straight on face & body?

Argghhh this is so annoying, I just have no way of knowing if i have them but am convinced something like this is causing my hair and eyebrows to fall out and irritating my eyes. Also the pitted skin that arent black head on my nose and chin are strange.

What does vaseline on eyelashes do? and can i put on brows also.

What do you mean by live blood test?

I know that I am immune surpressed;
    a)because I am taking antibiotics
    b) because i have been under a huge amount of stress for the last 3 months (since i knew something was up)
    c) being an athlete training 2 times a day through winter.

Do you find that you have an oily film on you forhead and around your eyes with these?

Thanks,
    Luke

15. karen g says:

Luke, well you have all the signs i had ,but i’m getting on top of them.
    Use the foot blam all over yourself including lips ,as they come out of there as well. You dont have to use chilli, if u dont want too.Also put inside your nose and ears, under your feet ,and through your hair.
    My white blood cells keep going down ,then normal, then down again.
    Live blood analysis,is an alternative treatment,Holistic medicine, just google it you will find someone local.
    Demodex luv oil ,( i have very oily skin ,and forehead was always oily )which is located next to your hair focial, and when there is too many of them your hair will fall out.
    As mine did, i thought i was going to go bald.
    I take alot of vitamins and also, garlic, B Muilti, for stress .Folic acid, olive leaf extract, C is great as anti biotic.
    Vasaline keeps them out of you eye lashers, as they too fall out.
    Buy a mirror with a x 10 magnifcation. And you will see them come out. All white and thin, some dark brown ,as they have been there awhile.
    Cheers
    Karen

16. Luke says:

hmmm…but the oily forhead/scalp came after some hair started to fall, as if this oil IS what is causing the irritation and loss of hair. I have always had very dry skin around my forehead and scalp until this started.

My eyelashes have already started falling out i am afraid…

Will hair (head, eyebrow & lashes) come back if i can get rid of them.

What does the foot balm do to your skin? and how do i attract them out so as to be able to see them in the mirror?

Is there no medicated soaps/shampoos that can get rid of this stuff?

17. Luke says:

Eyes themselves are also very irritated.

Oh and a side note – the only other thing that makes me curious that it may not be demodex related is that there are not acually patches of hair loss, it is just an overall diffuse thinning on my scalp – i would say though, that areas affected by Male Pattern Baldness are being affected worst (temples, crown). There is one little area at front of hair line which is about half the size of a cent completely gone. Eyebrows are thinning from either edge inwards, the really thick parts in the middle are now beginning to become quite thin. I just need to stop this before they go the whole way!

The fact that it is diffuse around my hair, eyebrows etc could mean that it is something systematic i suppose, i know that my hormones are all over the place from tests which can affect skin & hair in different ways.

It is so annoying using all of these ointments to try and treat/stop something that it might not even be…!

Currently i am just washing face, eyebrows, lids & lashes with baby shampoo and Tea Tree Oil – I feel that i am fighting a losing battle with whatever this is and playing with the brows are just making them fall out quicker!

I need a lifeline.

18. karen g says:

Luke i told you what the ingrediants are in the foot blam and i have tried everything. And it doesn’t hurt you!!
    !I’ve used tea tree oil neat, all scabies treatments , neem oil. etc…..
    And its the only thing that works.
    And its the only way you gonna get rid of them.
    And yes your hair will stop falling out, and grow back.
    You gotto see these things come out of your skin …truly disgusting….
    Still seeing a dermo on the 10 th of may…see what she says,,Have kept some to show her.
    I have not found soaps or shampoos that get rid of Dermodex…..and i have tried…

19. Luke says:

Ok thanks Kareng, are you based in the UK or US?

I am seeing a derm on 20th April so not long away, but i think with regards to any mite or fungal/yeast (which i also think could be the problem) it is going to be a bit of a waste of time – i think i might come away having been diagnosed with rosacea but that will be about it.

I am on Lymecycline for acne – which is partly why my immune system is down and is probably controlling the acne – but i have no real pustules etc and never have on my forhead/eyebrow/scalp area where this is affecting – i thought clinically most people who have demodex have papules/pustules and if infested i would imagine i would still be getting these whether i am on lymecycline or not.

I am also interested in what ‘Karen’ has to input for me as you said that you have been treating demodex for years.

Please Karen if you could just read back on my last few posts and give some feedback it would be much appreciated! I understand that everyone is different and respond to different treatments and i would also like to go down the route of clinical diagnosis before i really commit to treating this, as i just cant go into it wholehartedly with all the time etc when i am so busy and not knowing if i am treating the problem still! which i do not think i am going to be able to get on the NHS.

20. KarenC says:

Luke,I’ve been recieving Kareng’s messages through my email account, scalpskinworks@gmail.com.

Since there seems to be more than one Karen on this forum, from now on I’ll be Scalpskin Lady. Sorry for the confusion.

21. Angie says:

Hi Luke,

I hope you don’t mind me adding a little input here. I don’t have demodex mite issues myself, but I am doing some research on the subject for some of my own site visitors and happened upon this site.

I can really hear your distress and frustration and I wanted to offer a little encouragement to you.

You mentioned that you understood that your immune system is suppressed, particularly since you have been on antibiotics, under stress, and probably have a yeast overgrowth issue, etc. That is quite likely to be your underlying cause of your current problems.

I would encourage you to make your main priority cleansing your body internally and strengthening your immune system.

I’m not saying to ignore your external issues. By all means use the tea tree oil or the sea buckthorn oil (diluted in an oil base) externally, but concentrate on getting yourself cleaned up and supported on the inside too.

Consider using a good quality herbal parasite cleanse and definitely begin taking probiotics. They are a must when trying to build up your immune system. Probiotics are the good bacteria that your body needs to keep fungus, bacteria, and parasites in check.

Also, it’s important to make some dietary changes. Cut back on your sugar intake. Sugar feeds parasites, fungus, etc. Also, try to get some really good nutrition in your body even if you have to use some whole food supplement powders for a while.

It’s been my experience that for most health issues, if you make every effort to rid your body of internal toxins and give your body as much immuno and nutritional support as possible, the body is remarkable at tackling the healing process.

Just some food for thought while you are waiting for more experienced voices on the subject of demodex mites. ­čÖé

Blessings,
    Angie

22. Luke says:

Angie,

Thanks for the advice – a herbal parasite and fungal cleanse is something i am seriously considering. Should i do it after completing antibiotics or just go for it?

I do totally believe in what you are saying – i think getting the immune system back on track will help fight this stuff off externally.

You seem to be knowldgeable about internal candida/parasite etc – if i tackle this from the inside (gut etc) will my symptoms on the outside dissapear, or does all of the ‘skin deep’ stuff need to be alleviated in other ways?

Along will trying to reduce the (possible) demodex or any other fungal/parasite population on my skin topically. You (as have many others) say dilute the essential oils in an oil base – i don’t quite understand. I am currently using t tree and baby shampoo but think that this is maybe too week.

I have also heard 2 drops of SBT and TT can be diluted into a few teaspoons of jojoba then it is safe to apply without water or anything?

My biggest concern is that my eyebrows are becoming sparse, i am getting areas of very thin if not loss of hair on my head (crown, temple) and the hair is much thinner – i am just so worried i wont get this hair back. And i know the stress of all this has just completely ruined my hormone balances – but that is something for the endocrinologist.

I am allowing this to totally infringe upon my life too – work, relationships etc which is very dangerous.

Luke

23. Angie says:

Hi Luke,

I’m not a doctor by any means, but I do have a great interest in natural health and healing. I’ve studied candida and some of the most common parasite issues that people face and have been blessed to be able to help a number of people via my website http://www.allaboutparasites.com.

I would definitely say to start an internal cleanse and the probiotics as soon as possible. Just take the antibiotics at least 1 hour away from the other supplements.

Frankly, the antibiotics are likely to make your condition worse because they are killing off your good bacteria, too. If you DO have candida, this gives your yeast overgrowth a chance to really run wild.

It’s very strange, I know, but cleaning the inside definitely helps improve the outside. I wouldn’t discount the benefits of using some natural topical treatments to the obviously affected areas, but depending on your underlying cause, it is quite possible that the internal cleansing and building will clear up your issues.

Consider these AIM products…

Herbal Fiberblend – anti-parasitic cleanse
    Bear Paw Garlic – anti-fungal
    Florafood – probiotics
    Garden Trio – whole food supplement powders

Those are my best recommendations for getting started on a basic cleansing and building program. I added the Garden Trio to the list because it’s an excellent source of rich nutrition and you may want to think about trying them at least for the short term until you are on the mend.

One of the components of the Garden Trio is Redibeets. Beets are one of the best natural liver cleansers there is. The liver is one of the body’s main filtering organs. When the toxic load is relieved from the liver, the body can process toxins more efficiently and you are less likely to have skin issues.

While cleansing and building you may start to feel a little worse before you feel better. Don’t let that alarm you. It’s quite common as the body takes action for you to experience detoxification symptoms that may make you feel like you’re getting the flu, etc. Hang in there and it will pass.

When we refer to diluting essential oils in carrier oils we are referring to oils like almond oil, apricot oil, extra virgin olive oil, and the jojoba oil you mentioned. There are others, but those are some of the most common.

I can imagine the stress you are feeling over the hair loss. I know how it would certainly be of tremendous concern to me if I were in your situation. I’m afraid that the stress is probably contributing to your problems, so I’m glad you seem to be aware of that.

I normally recommend AIM’s Composure to help reduce your stress levels, but if my memory serves me correctly, it’s not one of the supplements available in the UK. Perhaps you can locate a comparable herbal supplement that would bring the same relaxing benefits without any of the dangerous side effects associated with prescription drugs for stress.

Also, remember that you can only think one thought at a time. When you start to think about your condition, practice changing your thoughts. Decide what you will think about instead and do it. The less stress your body is under, the quicker your body can heal.

You mentioned your hormones. I’m glad to hear it. So many men think hormones are just a “woman’s issue” when nothing can be further from the truth. If you DO have your hormone levels tested, and you find you need supplementation, try to avoid all synthetic hormone replacements. They come with nasty side effects that usually aren’t worth the price.

There are bio-identical hormones available that are safe and effective. For instance, natural progesterone cream is a great help for men in improving their testosterone levels. Progesterone is a precursor for testosterone.

Try to find someone in your area who is knowledgeable about natural hormone supplementation and replacement if you find you need assistance in that area.

Hoping you start to see some improvement soon.
    Blessings,
    Angie

24. dawn obrien says:

hi everyone,
    i have posted on this site before and read every single post on hear. im deffenatley in the same boat and have every single one of these symtoms, im going to the dermatolagist again next friday. ive been to him twice with no help , had a biopsy but didnt show mites, actually thats my third, maybe there taking it in the wrong place , but i dont know how they cant, its all all over my hole body , white stuff comeing out of my skin in gords. gross. they gave me ttiamcinolone , has never helped. gave me a steroid shot. no help. ive been trying tto, and neem oil. salt baths, epsion salt too. getting worse. im under so sososos much stress its unberable and very very depressed, also. think pre menopose im 44 . my face is all pink, and have white stuff in pores, well all over even my chest legs stomach,. very noticable. scared with sores all over from picking. my boyfriend thinks im nuts, and so do my kids. im not working cant even afford the sbo , i no i need to clense, i havent eaten in 2 days. have no appitite. and its not helping me for sure. im sorry im venting but im lost and no where to turn to . no one understands. they want me commited. also i feel them biting me too. and there in my hair too. i feel them there and my eyes and eyebrows. please any advise i would be grateful
    thanks
    best wishes to all of you
    dawn

25. karen g says:

PLEASE Read,
    Well after much reading on the net, i now realise i have “Morgellons” and an quite alarmed, by what i have read.
    After seeing 3 dermatologist,Nothing, they think u are crazy, and he didn’t do a scraping.
    So much for modern medicine.
    Back to the herbalist and naturopath.
    Having live blood analysis on Tuesday.
    Am taking anti parasitic and antifungal, and also liquid Chlorophyll, as an internal cleanser.
    You have to get your immune system back on track ….the most important thing you can do!!!
    You tube have pictures of these arthropods that live with the fungus.
    And what i saw ,was exactly what came outta my skin!!!Both my parents have seen them come out of my skin.
    Iridescent red specks, dark silver specks, white to cream long tubular matter,and also a nylon like fiber but finer .
    If you want to know if you have them, use “Foot Balm”….they hate it , put it on at night, buy a mirror witch has a magnification X 10 or more…..and you will see them, as i have. And the itch stops……….
    Keep u posted….

26. Angie says:

Hi Dawn,

You have my sincere sympathies. Karen may well be right when she mentions Morgellons. I get quite a few people visiting my site with very similar stories to yours. They all seem to go back to Morgellons as the primary concern.

Karen is also correct about the most important thing being to strengthen your immune system. Do get yourself a good intestinal cleanse going and add probiotics and whole food supplement powders to boost your nutritional levels.

For your stress and depression, you should consider starting to use some natural progesterone cream to help to get your hormones more in balance. I’m nearly 42 and have been helped greatly by using natural progesterone cream. It really does give you a bit more control and it also provides numerous other health benefits. Don’t be confused and get synthetic progestins – not at all the same thing. You want natural progesterone cream. I use Renewed Balance.

I’m afraid going back to the same dermatologist isn’t going to be much help to you if they were useless in the past. Perhaps you can find a homeopathic doctor in your area with a good reputation? Worth looking into.

I’m so sorry for you and Karen both and I hope and pray that you both find some relief and healing soon.

Blessings,
    Angie

27. Luke says:

Hello Morgellons is something that I am seriously wondering about also.

I actually no longer think that i have demodex as my symptoms are so clearly morgellons. Itch, white stuff, random stuff from skin, random lumps bumps etc. Parasites are only one part of morgs, it is the fungus that you really need to control.

My derm told me it was sebbhorea which is not right but u just got to accept that these guys are not going to help and get on with it to try and make yourself better.

I need to get my immune system up and have a cleanse to stop this fungus etc. I am going to get this up and running as of Monday…

I am going to an endocrinologist as i know i have a lot of hormones out of whack and hoping putting these right will sort some part of my immune system out.

Angie i know you have been talking to me in the past – if you could refresh my memory as to your email i would like to get in contact for some cleanse kits, anti fungals etc which you might suggest i use??? I am a believer that getting things right on the inside will help the outside.

In terms of the skin etc, i am currently trialling different types of washes etc which soothe and stop the itching, yes i am loosing hair, eyebrows etc, but i am assured that the hair loss will stop and come back when you get this under control.

Please do not stress guys this feeds on it – get an action plan, get on top of it, and try and live life as normal as you can. the reason people think you are mad is because a lot of the time your symptoms can not be noticed – so do not worry from that perspective. The itch etc is crazy i know but you need to put your energy into sorting it out than horrifying over it…..

There are some doctors in the UK that i know of who help with this & I am not going to let this ruin my life…

I am still exercising, have a social life people have no idea that anything is wrong. so it does seem worse than it is.

28. Angie says:

Hi Luke,

I’m not sure if the owners of this would frown on me putting my email address in a post and I don’t want to take advantage of them in that way. However, they do allow me to place a link to my site. Just click on my name at the beginning of this particular post and it will take you to one of the pages relating to morgellons treatment on my site.

You can have a look at the info. there and if you still have questions, feel free to use the contact form on my site. I’ll do my best to help you out.

I’m so glad to hear your positive attitude about dealing with this. It will make a great difference in the long run.

Hang in there!
    Blessings,
    Angie

29. Stormy says:

Hi. I’ve come across this website after 20 years of suffering with what I believe is demodex. I’ve seen dozens of dermatologists and they all did not believe me. I really feel for all of you who are suffering but please remember in your time of doubt that you are not alone. We are all working to find the answers and I do feel they will eventually come because more and more of us are suffering from this. Once the Doc’s come in contact with this, they will then begin heavy intense research Im sure.
    My problem is red pimple like bumps that are all over the place on my body especially my face and chest. I have extremely oily skin and this makes matters worse.
    I have tried the tea tree oil thing and it hasn’t worked for me. My hair is thinning and falling out. I don’t have healthy white bulbs at the end of my hairs anymore.
    I am going to buy some seabuck thorn oil and try it tonight.
    My question to any of you who care to answer is. How do you deal with any guilt associated with passing this on to others. My whole family has it to some extent and all my coworkers have it. AND GUESS WHAT? they see the breakouts on themselves but refuse to accept that it was contagious and given to them. So suddenly my 73 year old mother has it but thank goodness she doesn’t care.
    Each boyfriend I’ve ever had has gotten it. I have an ex boyfriend who had it but it went away because he got on various anti depressants…sounds crazy? but his skin cleared up. So I know there is different medications that work.
    Anyway, I feel terribly guilty knowing that my fellow humans that come in contact with me begin to have the same symptons. Can you please share your thoughts with me on this?
    I sometimes feel like Im going mad and have even felt like giving up.Especially during pms time. lol…
    Thanks for this website. I feel no longer alone in this nightmare.

30. Luke says:

Luke again.

anyone out there (who is actually informed and knows) whether demodex can be cross species? ie – can we get brevis and follicularum from k9’s or are demodex that affetc them different?

I believe not?

I only ask because today – i noticed some bald patches on a good freinds dog (who i have a lot of contact with) – asked him why – he simply said that it has a skin condition called demodex which is being treated.

He seems to believe they cannot cross species.

my symptoms started in January so having had exposure to the dog.

Stormy, hang in there and don’t lose sight that this can be any number of medical conditions, get a good doctor and work through it with them systematically. When they begin ruling other things out it will leave them with little other choice but to listen to you – and hey, if the find something along the way then happy days. I have new skin probs and hair loss ever since this started for me and yes – my GP and i are ruling other things out – i have even had hair split photos taken to ‘prove’ that i am losing hair along with photos of my skin. So have faith, if it is there to be found, you’ll find it. And as far as i am aware, not much can make you PERMANENTLY lose hair except pattern baldness – which you will invariably do to yourself if you live in a state of constant stress.

Just a thought was all.

Thanks,
    Luke

31. Christine says:

I have been reading all these comments with interest.

I’m sure I have Demodex – especially after reading this.

I woke up 3 weeks ago with a bad itchy scalp & itching on different parts of the face. When I turned on the light I could see small horrible whitish coloured ‘things’ on my arm & when I looked in the mirror could see them on my face.

It got worse during the night & in the morning my white sheets & pillow case was covered in tiny dark brown or black things crawling everywhere.

I have had itching in the night previously & ignored it but think it was this. My husband has seen them on him but not as many. We have cats & wondered if they could be the cause.

I don’t think my immune system is suppressed. I am not particularly stressed and haven’t taken antibiotics for years, but am now in my 50’s.

I’ve noticed my eyebrows are virtually non existent & noticed this a while ago.

I also have a large brownish oval mark on the side of my head, under my hairline. This feels rough & also has broken skin in the middle of it. Not sure if this is related.

Can anyone recommend the best treatment before going to bed, in order to reduce the itchiness on the scalp & face? I guess the answer is to eliminate the mites.

Also can anyone say if they think it’s Demodex.

32. karen g says:

Hi Christine,
    I have the same symptoms as you, and first assumed that my cat Maggie had given me this affliction, unfortunately i was wrong.
    And my white blood cells count is down.
    I know what i have now, and your animals didn’t give it to you, trust me. There is so much for you to know now, that will astound you.
    Go to Morgellons research, carnicom.com and lymebusters, my name there is sheredelight and would be happy to help you , as many have done the same for me.
    Lots of things you can do, but not mainstream medicine as you will find out.
    Best wishes
    Karen g
    P.s. read my above post.

33. Christine says:

Hi Karen G,

You are right.

Can’t find you on Carnicom.

can you go give me your email.

34. Selma Sander says:

Demodex akarlar su ┼čefafl─▒─č─▒nda ,ancak bilince farkedilen ,ba┼člang─▒cta az say─▒da olmas─▒ndan dolay─▒ m├╝dahale edilene kadar deriye ├žok say─▒da uyuyan yumurtalar─▒yla yerle┼čen bir parazit ..K─▒sa s├╝reli ,mucize tedavi m├╝mk├╝n de─čil..UZUN S├ťREL─░ B─░R SAVA┼×…

BURADA T├ťM VUCUT TEDAV─░ ED─░LMEL─░ : ALAN TEDAV─░LER─░ ─░LE BIKKINLI─×A ─░Z─░N VER─░LMEMEL─░
    1)ZEYT─░NYA─×LI K├ťK├ťRTL├ť SABUN VE SENTET─░K BANYO L─░F─░ ─░LE SABAH /AK┼×AM DU┼×.
    2)DEMODEX ├çOK YA─×LI B─░R PARAZ─░T OLDU─×UNDAN BOYALARI ABSORBE ETT─░─×─░NDEN ├ľLMEKTE ..BU NEDENLE SA├çLARINIZI UYGUN RENKTE AYDA B─░R BOYAYIN(B─░TK─░SELBOYA)
    3)PARAZ─░TER HASTALIKLARDA K─░┼×─░LER─░N KEND─░LER─░N─░ TEKRARLAYAN BULA┼×ILARININ ENGELLENMES─░ GEREKL─░D─░R..HER SABAH YASTIK KILIFI VE ├çAR┼×AFINIZI ,─░├ç ├çAMA┼×IR VE P─░JAMALARINIZI HAVLULARINIZI /60 DERECE VE /VEYA Na PERBORATLI
    DETERJANLA YIKAYINIZ
    4)EV TEM─░ZL─░─×─░NDESULU S─░STEM ELEKTR─░K S├ťP├ťRGES─░ KULLANIN
    5) SBT+TTO KARMA YA─×I EN AZINDAN AK┼×AMLARI KULLANIN
    6) D─░─×ER BULA┼×I YOLLARINDAN SAKININ

35. michle ravard says:

Have all the same symptoms as everyone , This started after I noticed I had Thrips on all of my window sills. Google this as they think they have mutated into a species that does invade humans and have found them on people that think it is Morgellons. My 8 year old son has them on his face as well . What is safe treatment for a child. Should you bathe in Borax does this help? The larger ones seem to borrow in our skin but the little white ones come out when you use alcohol or hold tee tree oil over the skin (they hate the smell as much as we do!)

36. John says:

“#6 Karen on 05.23.09 at 7:29 AM

…Sea Buckthorn Oil (SBT) is an incredible Anti- bacterial, fungal, microbial and parasitic essential oil that meets many needs. In chinese studies, itÔÇÖs shown to kill the mite while healing the skin tissue”

Hi Karen,

I have been doing extensive research on this topic and the only “documented” studies & papers available state that Tea Tree Oil (TTO) and Eucalyptus Oil kill Demodex mites

I have found NO research papers or documented evidence stating that Sea Buckthorn Oil (SBT) kills Demodex mites other than people in “Web Forums” making assumptions that it does

Do you have any links to documented evidence that ‘SBT kills Demodex’ mites or are you just ‘assuming’ it does based on hearsay?

Regards

John

37. Hi John,

I was concerned about the folklore surrounding demodex mites, and the false confidence people have in what does and doesn’t kill them. Particularly the SBT claims worried me as I have never been able to find any proof. I suspect that there is no proof because no-one has ever tested it, or indeed it does not kill them.

Thus I was delighted to find a published study that I wrote up here: Just How do you Kill Demodex Mites?. There you can see that only alcohol, tea tree oil, carraway oil, dill weed oil, ether, xylol, benzene, Danish (sulfur-containing) ointment have been found to kill demodex.

All of these substances are pretty noxious, so it makes clear sense to me that something like seabuckthorn oil can’t possibly kill demodex.

38. comment via email from Karen:

“John

I found the information on demodexsolutions.com. Take a look.

Karen Crever
    SCALP SYSTEMS”

39. Hi Karen,

That site doesn’t seem to even mention sea buckthorn oil – only in the user forums.

I would be happy to see (and indeed publish here) details of how SBT is `anti-bacterial, fungal, microbial and parasitic’ and able to kill demodex mites.

regards,

40. John says:

“#37 David Pascoe on 12.31.10 at 9:31 PM

…All of these substances are pretty noxious, so it makes clear sense to me that something like seabuckthorn oil canÔÇÖt possibly kill demodex”

Hi David,

I would have to agree with you
    It appears that Karen may be related to a site / company that makes / sells SBT and therefore has a conflict of interest to promote with no evidence of clinical success

Until I read a journal or study outlining the tests and results, SBT is only of benefit via forum responses / heresy promotions by companies that produce SBT

If I was a company that produces ‘Sea Buckthorn Oil’ oil I would partner with a respected Medical University to conduct a blind study

As no company that produces SBT has done this, I would be skeptical of SBT

Below is an example of a study (TTO) that offers real value to a consumer

——————————————
    In vitro and in vivo killing of ocular Demodex by tea tree oil

AIMS: To compare the in vitro killing effect of different agents on Demodex and to report the in vivo killing effect of tea tree oil (TTO) on ocular Demodex.

METHODS: Survival time of Demodex was measured under the microscope. Sampling and counting of Demodex was performed by a modified method.

RESULTS: Demodex folliculorum survived for more than 150 minutes in 10% povidone-iodine, 75% alcohol, 50% baby shampoo, and 4% pilocarpine. However, the survival time was significantly shortened to within 15 minutes in 100% alcohol, 100% TTO, 100% caraway oil, or 100% dill weed oil. TTO’s in vitro killing effect was dose dependent. Lid scrub with 50% TTO, but not with 50% baby shampoo, can further stimulate Demodex to move out to the skin. The Demodex count did not reach zero in any of the seven patients receiving daily lid scrub with baby shampoo for 40-350 days. In contrast, the Demodex count dropped to zero in seven of nine patients receiving TTO scrub in 4 weeks without recurrence.

CONCLUSIONS: Demodex is resistant to a wide range of antiseptic solutions. Weekly lid scrub with 50% TTO and daily lid scrub with tea tree shampoo is effective in eradicating ocular Demodex.

PMID: 16234455 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]PMCID: PMC1772908Free PMC Article