Rosacea News January 2008

News, information and research from the world of rosacea.

Postby David Pascoe » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:53 pm

1. most popular blog posts in 2007

Looking through my web site statistics I can see that the following Rosacea News items received the most visits during the year. I’m looking forward to 2008 to see what makes the Rosacea News. 1. eucerin redness relief product reviews In 2005 a new range of skin care products from Eucerin (Beiersdorf Inc) called Eucerin Redness Relief was released. ...

2. not on your face, it is possible

One often asked question by newly diagnosed sufferers is `can you get rosacea on areas other than your face’. The usual answer is no; you normally only see rosacea symptoms on the flushing zone areas in the central areas of your face. This paper slightly dispels this idea with a case report about one patient who had rosacea lesions on his arm, and upper chest …

3. AAD Poster Sessions: oxymetazoline

The 66th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology is due to take place in San Antonio, TX, from Feb 1-5. Of most interest to rosacea sufferers is the poster sessions where recently published research and related products are promoted to dermatologists. Based on the proposed poster sessions, the following look interesting. P400: Successful treatment of the erythema and flushing of rosacea using a …

4. NRS announces 2008 research grants

The NRS has announced four new grants for ongoing research into the knowledge, cause and treatment of rosacea. Dr. Gallo, Dr. Granstein and Dr. Steinhoff have been awarded grants to continue their existing NRS-funded research while Dr. Helfrich has been awarded a grant for new areas of funding. Briefly, (for full details, see the NRS Blog): Dr. Richard Gallo, …

5. 100mg doxycycline no better than oracea

Collagenex is reporting today that Oracea is equally effective as 100mg of doxycycline. This latest press release is a culmination of a trial that we have reported previously - oracea plus metrogel, better than 100mg doxycycline plus metrogel ? and also a 2007 SkinMed paper; maximum effective dose of doxycycline is 40mg a day. The main point of the trial was …

6. Clinique Redness Solutions: user reviews

A new range of products for problem red skin called Clinique Redness Solutions has recently been launched.
The range consists of ; Redness Solutions Urgent Relief Cream is said “rushes soothing relief to upset skin. Quickly calms flare-ups of visible redness, irritation.” Redness Solutions Daily Protective Base SPF 15 is claimed “Protects …

7. Clinique Redness Solutions Ingredients

A recent Rosacea News post listing the some preliminary user reviews for Clinique Redness Solutions was unclear on whether the Urgent Relief Cream contains cortisone. Well the answer is yes, it does. This would suggest that this product is not suitable for long term use for rosacea sufferers. It is not a surprise that a product that claims up soothe upset skin would …

8. otophyma: rosacea swelling and growth of the ears

Hot on the tails of the recent paper about getting rosacea on areas other than your face comes this paper about rosacea related swelling and growth of the ear. This case report covers a patient who had an enlarged ear which was found to be caused by the same sort of rosacea growth seen in rhinophyma - called lymphedema. An additional suggestion is that …

9. granulomatous variant not a rosacea subtype

This just published paper is confirm that belief that the granulomatous forms of rosacea are not genuine subtypes in the same ways as the 4 well-know subtypes: ER, PP, PHY and OC (my abbreviations). A one-line summary of this paper is that a group of patients who had tests to show that they had granulomatous rosacea did not have any …
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Re: Rosacea News January 2008

Postby phlika29 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:49 pm

Excuse my ignorance but may I ask which ingredient is the cortisone one. It does not appear in any format that I recognise?
phlika29
Star Member
Star Member

Postby David Pascoe » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:08 am

Hi Sarah,

For the urgent relief cream, it lists: active ingredient: hydrocortisone acetate 0.50%

davidp.
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby David Pascoe » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:57 am

sorry, I should have included the link to where I put the ingredient listing ;

http://rosacea-support.org/clinique-red ... ients.html
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby phlika29 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:45 am

Doh as usual I miss what is directly in front of me. Missed the top bit where it lists the active ingredient.

I am amazed that this can go on sale in the UK as I always underestood it to be a controlled medicine.
phlika29
Star Member
Star Member

Postby David Pascoe » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:06 pm

At least in Australia you can get up to 1% cortisone over the counter, only higher strengths need a prescription.
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby phlika29 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:34 pm

Yes its the same here. Sorry what I meant was that the 1% has to be sold under the direction of a pharmacist and so can not be sold in general store where you would something like this cosmetic cream.
phlika29
Star Member
Star Member

Postby David Pascoe » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:31 am

I guess the danger is that anyone can abuse treatments that appear to be working. It is easy for people to ignore the warnings on the side of the box when you see it working. Even when it is only on Rx it can be tempting to go over the recommended usage levels.

Thankfully the word is getting out that topical steroids and rosacea are not good companions.
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Return to Rosacea Research and News